Italian Plastics Industry by the Numbers
ITALIAN PLASTICS MARKET HAS SET NEW RECORDS WITH BOTH THE DEMAND IT CREATED IN FOREIGN MARKETS AND DOMESTIC MARKET GROWTH RATE.
- With a share of 14%, Italy has the largest plastics demand in Europe after Germany.
- The size of the Italian plastic and rubber industry is about 43 million Euros.
- Italian production of plastic and rubber machinery rose by a record 10% in 2017 to 4.67 billion euros.
- Exports also increased by 12% to 3.3 billion euros.
- The domestic market grew by 10%, which means that records were set in both areas.
Top ten destination countries of the Italian plastics and rubber machinery, equipment and moulds exports (000 Euro)
|Countries||2016||% Out of the total||Countries||2017||% Out of the total||%17/16|
|United State||229,339||7,7||United State||276,034||8,3||20.4|
|Czech Republic||100,637||3,4||Czech Republic||126,717||3.8||25.9|
|United Kingdom||118,058||4||United Kingdom||119,370||3.6||1.1|
|Total “Top 10”||1.649,099||55,6||Total “Top 10”||1.842,627||55.6||11.7|
|Other Countries||1.312,459||44,4||Other Countries||1.466,964||44.4||11.8|
- In Italy, one person’s employment in the plastic industry provides employment for three people from a wider economic perspective.
- About 400 companies are involved in plastics production in Italy.
- That number goes up to 8,500 with plastics industry products.
- The number of people employed in rubber and plastic products manufacturing industry is around 150,000.
- Industry representatives report that this growth in the rubber industry has been achieved through Italy’s Industry 4.0 action plan.
- Italy’s public science productivity, which is 0.52, is above the EU average.